The entire city seems to be battling some sort of flu or sickness, there are few things worse than being sick. It ruins your days off, doesn’t let you focus, and at this time of year, you can’t really truly enjoy all of the festivities going on.
It’s also that time of the year, when people like to spend a ton of money to stand in a crowded room, pay too much for drinks, and count down from ten. If you’re well enough, and you’re looking for something to do this NYE, here’s a little help.
1. NYE 2010 @ Science World – There are few parties that generate more buzz at this time of the year than at Science World. This years party is presented by Sleeman, The Beat 94.5, and Clubzone. Expecting a 1000 people housed in two rooms of music on two different floors, Science World will be rocking well past midnight. Wanna go? $90 gets you in the door.
2. Massive Gala 2010 – Boasting to be the biggest Canadian Westcoast NYE event will get you to number 2 on the list. This ones taking place at Pacific Coliseum, and is presented by Solid-Entertainment. There’s also a live performance by Sean Paul, with The Beat’s DJ Supafly spinning tracks all night.$100 gets you in the door.
3. The Empire Affair – One of the cooler venues for a party has got to be the Empire Landmark Hotel in Vancouver, and that’s just where this NYE party is going down. Four rooms playing everything from Cuban music to salsa to house, and of course Top 40 and hip hop. $70 gets you in.
4. Fortune NYE 2010 – Not so much a NYE party than an after party. $16 gets you in from 1 – 4am. The party takes place at Fortune Sound Club, nestled in Chinatown. Need a reason to jet from one party a little early and cab it over to something different? Fortune might be the place for you.
5. NYE Gala @ Barcelona – One of Vancouvers newest destinations is housing what might also be the most expensive NYE party. While $75 gets you in the door, an Ultimate Platinum Package can run you $2,185! That’s a group party rate, dependant on the size of your party, the lower level of the service includes a 750ml bottle of Dom, 750 bottle of Belvedere Vodka, an appy table share plate, chocolate strawberries, and disposable cameras. At that rate, you’d think they’d throw in a basic digital point and shoot camera.
Of course, if these 5 picks don’t tickle your fancy, you could always attend a house party or host one yourself. Sure, it makes a bit of a mess, but it’s a bit more intimate, and you can almost guarantee that it’s going to be a fun night.
No fights, lineups, or crappy music.